The Friends of Sauchie Tower
Sauchie Tower is currently being restored by Clackmannanshire Heritage Trust. The Friends of Sauchie Tower is a community group founded in 2002 to encourage and support its restoration; research the archaeology and history of the tower and its environs; increase public awareness of the tower; and attract funding for the work.
The Friends of Sauchie Tower have been awarded a ‘Your Heritage’ grant of £46,300 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to carry out a project to raise awareness of Sauchie Tower and its environment. The grant will cover just over 76% of the total project costs (£60,482). The rest of the costs will be met in kind by volunteers and with kind financial support from Clackmannanshire Heritage Trust.
The project will complement the work of Clackmannanshire Heritage Trust by focussing on the land to the west of the tower and the remains of Old Sauchie House. It will consist of:
- clearance of the trees to the west of the tower and around Old Sauchie House
- a survey of the remains of the house and an excavation of the house and space between the tower and house to help us understand the development of the site
- an ecological study of the wider area
- an oral history project which will record information about the later industrial history of the area, including Devon Colliery, Quarry and Ironworks and Bankhead Quarry, which stood nearby
- a study of the development of Fishcross and ‘New Sauchie’
- the role of the railway, memories of working and living in the area and views about it now.
- an exhibition, CD ROM, booklet and on-site interpretative panels.
The project has just begun and will involve members of the local community, with the ultimate aim of increasing our understanding of Sauchie Tower, its environment and heritage, encouraging people to protect the tower, support its restoration and enjoy the restored site.
For further information about this please contact:
- Carol Roscoe, Hon. Secretary, Friends of Sauchie Tower (tel: 01259 211103) or
- Susan Mills, Friends of Sauchie Tower (tel: 01259 216913).