The Governance Service
As part of the Council's Support Services we aim to be the professional advisor, provider or partner of choice for our internal and external stakeholders.
The Governance Service comprises the following component services:-
The Governance Manager also fulfils the statutory role of Monitoring Officer to the Council.
The purpose of the Governance Service is :-
- to ensure that the Council has an appropriately skilled and rewarded workforce to enable it to achieve its strategic objectives and meet the needs of the community
- to support Elected Members to be effective leader
- to ensure that the Council discharges its duties reasonably, responsibly and lawfully
- to support the democratic process
- to ensure that our procurement activities are fair and robust and that the Council is achieving value for money
- to provide and safe working environment for Elected Members, Managers and Staff
To ensure that the Council has a robust and effective governance framework in place give our stakeholders confidence that the organisation is doing the right things for the right people at the right time, in an open, honest, accountable and legally compliant way.
Governance Service Mission
To provide proactive professional and technical advice, guidance and support to Elected Members, Senior Managers and staff to enable them to achieve their strategic and operational objectives under a sound and defined governance framework.
Our Core Aims
Our corporate priority is to be an efficient and effective Council, recognised for excellence. As good and robust governance arrangements are key to achieving this corporate objective, the core aims of the Governance Service are in alignment with the key elements of the Council's overarching Governance Strategy, namely:-
- Support and promote effective leadership and a culture of good governance
- Develop and maintain constructive and effective relationships with our stakeholders including Elected Members, staff, partner agencies and the wider community.
- Ensure that the Council effectively manages and controls risk.
- Ensure that the Council has appropriate internal controls in place and complies with all relevant law and regulations.
- Maximise the potential of our staff by actively promoting and facilitating their professional and personal development.
- Support and promote the effective management of resources and information to ensure effective decision making within the organisation.
- Monitor and manage performance effectively and strive continuously to improve.