Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places
This consultation is now finished. You can view the feedback received here
A review of Clackmannanshire Council's Polling Districts and Polling Places has taken place. Relevant contributions and comments on the proposals were sought from all interested individuals and groups. The proposal stage has now come to an end and the Review Working Group will meet shortly to prepare their report for Council. Those proposals can still be viewed.
Each polling district must have a designated polling place that can be brought into use on election days for local people. Polling places must, in general terms, be within the designated polling district, and the building/facilities used should be as accessible as possible.
A range of helpful details and maps are available. Hard copies have also been placed in local offices for information. Please contact us (details are below) if you wish any assistance or any additional detail.
Aim of this Review
The review is not an attempt to introduce change for the sake of it or to 'fix what is not broken' - changes will only be made to existing arrangements where clear benefits can be justified.
The aim of the review is to:
- seek comments on the present division of polling districts, and the suitability of the buildings and rooms presently used on election days for polling purposes.
- ensure that all electors in the County have reasonable facilities for voting (as far as practicable in the circumstances)
- ensure that (in so far as is reasonable and practicable), the polling places used are accessible to all electors, including those who are less able or have particular needs.
The Council has always aimed to locate polling stations within a convenient distance from the majority of electors' homes, with the premises being easy to find and accessible to all. However, it is not always possible to find (or to get permission to use) perfect premises in every area. A best compromise is however always sought.
Who can respond to the consultation? Please note that the consultation and proposal stages are now closed.
The Council welcomed relevant comments from residents in Clackmannanshire, and any individuals or bodies who have a particular expertise in relation to the use of premises or facilities for those who have different forms of ability or disability.
Political parties, existing elected representatives, and other interested parties were also invited to contribute.
The local Returning Officer was asked for comments.
All submissions have now been received and considered.
The proposal stage (24th September - 26th October) - Now complete
1. The Council's Polling Places Review Group met in September and considered the representations and comments submitted. They drafted proposals for ongoing polling district and polling place arrangements. Changes proposed have been supported by reasons.
2. The draft has now been published and we now invite further comment on the draft proposals. Any comments should be submitted by 26 October 2012.
3. The Polling Places Review Working Group will meet again mid-November and consider any representations made in relation to the draft proposals. The outcome will assist the preparation of a report to Clackmannanshire Council.
What should I do if I wish to make a comment on the proposals? Please note that submissions can no longer be made.
Written submissions only can be made either on one of our forms, by letter, fax or e:mail.
Post: FREEPOST TY805, Election Office, Clackmannanshire Council, Greenfield, Alloa FK10 2AD
fax 01259 452030 or
Council meet on 20th December to consider the proposals - the report was deferred. Once the Council has agreed the proposals, the new polling districts and polling places must be made available to the public. The Register of Electors will take into account any changes made.