Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

ClacksWeb - Clackmannanshire Council Online

Registering a Death

Registering a Death

We realise that this is a very difficult time for you. In this section there is information and guidance aimed at helping you through the registration process.

When and where can I register a death?

Any death which occurs in Scotland must be registered within 8 days by the Registrar and can be registered at any Registration Office within Scotland. To avoid unnecessary waiting please phone to book an appointment using the details at the bottom of this page.

Who can register a death in Scotland?

The death can be registered by:

  • any relative of the deceased; or
  • any person present when the person died; or
  • the deceased's executor or other legal representative; or
  • the occupier of the property where the person died; or if there is no such person,
  • anyone else who knows the information to be registered.

What documents should I take to the registrar?

  • Any birth, marriage or civil partnership certificates relating to the deceased.
The following documents, if available, are also helpful:
  • The deceased's NHS medical card.
  • Any documents relating to the receipt of a pension or allowance from government funds.

Note: Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the Registrar can still proceed to register the death.

What documents will I receive?

When the registration is complete the registrar will give you, free of charge:

  • an abbreviated death certificate
  • a certificate of registration of death (form 14) for production to the person in charge of the burial ground or crematorium;
  • a Social Security registration or notification of death certificate (form BD8) for use in obtaining or adjusting Social Security benefits.

Note:You may require one or more full death certificates, for example for Insurance purposes. These may be obtained on payment of the statutory fee.

Tell Us Once

When someone has died we can help you tell the people who need to know.

When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting government departments and local council services that need to be told.

Clackmannanshire Council is providing a free service which will make things easier. This new service means that you can just tell us and these organisations will be contacted.

How the service can help you

When someone has died, their death needs to be registered with the Registrar. Once that's done, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information.

We can help you to give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions and they can pass on this information to a number of other government departments and local council services for you.

How you can contact us to use the service

Once you have registered the death with a registrar there are a number of ways you can use the service:

  • In person
    • When you call to register the death you will automatically be offered the service immediately after registration.
    • You may wish to phone in advance to make an appointment to see us. Please see our contact details below.
  • By telephone
    • After registering the death, if you would like to speak to someone on the phone please call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308. The lines are open Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm. This number is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers, including mobile phone providers, may charge you.
    • If you don't speak English, call 0800 085 7308 and one of the advisers and an interpreter will call you back and help you.
How we will treat the information you give us

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

What happens to the information?

It is possible to report the death to these organisations and services if you decide to use the service:

  • Council Services
    • Housing Benefit Office
    • Council Tax Benefit Office
    • Council Tax
    • Collection of payment for local services
    • Libraries
    • Electoral Services
    • Blue Badge and concessionary travel
    • Adult Services
    • Children's Services
    • Council Housing
    • Waste services
    • Garden maintenance service
  • Department for Work and Pensions
    • Pension, Disability and Carers Service
    • Jobcentre Plus
    • Overseas Health Team
  • HM Revenue & Customs
    • Child Benefit
    • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
    • Personal Taxation
  • Other services
    • Identity and Passport Service
    • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
    • Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency War Pensions Scheme
Information you will need to use this service

It will help if you have the following information with you, about the person who has died, when you use the service:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Their death certificate
  • Their Driving Licence or Driving Licence number
  • Their Passport or Passport number and town/country of birth

We may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • Their next of kin
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate

You must obtain the permission of the persons listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

Next of Kin

If you are the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased), your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number and / or date of birth with you when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased's estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service if you have their permission to provide their details and act on their behalf.


This service is committed to ensuring your information is protected. Our privacy statement tells you how the information you provide when you use this service will be used and protected. Ask the Registrar if you wish to see the full privacy statement.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations that pay you a benefit/credit or provide a service to you have correct and up to date information about you.

For Further Information Contact

The Registrar
Speirs Centre, Primrose Place, Alloa, FK10 1AD
Tel: 01259 723850 / 450000 Fax: 01259 723365